The Student News Site of Santa Cruz High

The Trident

Girls Tennis | SC Beats St. Francis 5-2

St. Francis Takes One and Two Singles

Chloe Seifert and Julia Stuart, No. 2 doubles, playing St. Francis.

Riley Nelson

Riley Nelson

Riley Nelson

by Stuart Woodhams, Editor

SANTA CRUZ– In Santa Cruz’s second match of the year, the Cardinals swept the St. Francis sharks in doubles and took No. 3 and No. 4 singles. The match was relaxed and laughter could be heard from courtside.

“We have a very strong team this year. Our program has a lot of depth this year. It gets stronger every year,” said Coach Juergen, Santa Cruz’s assistant coach. “Doubles is our strength.”

Lily Stricker (senior) usually plays No. 1 singles, but today played No. 1 doubles. “It’s too stressful for me and it’s my fourth year playing and I wanted to just relax this year with doubles,” said Lily. “I’d rather care about my mental health,” she said. Emily Nolan (senior), her partner, enjoyed the match. “It was one of the best matches of my life because she’s my best friend. It’s a win-win.”

In Lily Stricker’s place, Stella Davidsdottir (senior) lost to Katherine Casper of St. Francis 6-1, 6-3. “I think I played pretty well actually,” Davidsdottir said. “I didn’t feel like I was prepared to play No. 1 singles against this girl cause I know she’s really good.” Davidsdottir took a nasty fall in her second set against Casper.

Davidsdottir had just found out yesterday that she would be playing No. 1 singles. “Lily doesn’t want to play singles so I’m going to be playing singles first practically the whole season,” she said. “I guess it’s an opportunity for me to get better.”

Casper only had nice things to say about her opponent. “Stella is a really good player and we had lots of good points.” Katherine is playing No. 1 singles this year and following in the footsteps of her sisters Caroline and Claire Casper who also played for St. Francis.

“It’s a building year I think,” said St Francis coach Gay Finch. “We’ve got twenty girls out which is a big team, but you did really well, Santa Cruz did great today.”

Santa Cruz and St. Francis play again on Tuesday, Oct. 10th.

1 Comment

One Response to “Girls Tennis | SC Beats St. Francis 5-2”

1. Avni on October 1st, 2017 11:58 pm

Love it! Go SC High!!!!! My favorite part was the time lapse. Journalism taken to the next level.

[Reply]

The Trident encourages everyone to comment. Please keep your comments civil and polite. We will approve them as soon as we can.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Girls Tennis | SC Beats St. Francis 5-2