The Student News Site of Santa Cruz High

The Trident

Cross Country | Cross Country Girls Want State

The girls' cross country took first, fifth, and ninth in their second meet.

by Cooper Desmond, Sports Reporter

SANTA CRUZ- In Santa Cruz’s second meet of the year at Toro Park, the senior girls showed their fire power finishing in first, fifth, ninth, and 11th. The Sept. 16th meet also set a combined girl’s record as the third fastest time ever at the course, an outstanding achievement. The senior boys also ran hard getting 13th, and 74th.

“Moving forward, our goal for the girls is to win league,” said cross country coach Greg Brock. “Santa Cruz has never ever beaten Aptos at league in all of my 30 years of coaching here. However, we also want to win CCS, and this year I feel we have a shot at winning state meet,” coach Brock continued. “We also are hoping for the boys to qualify for CCS and maybe have an individual go to state.”

Mari Friedman, a captain of the girls cross country team, took a more direct approach. “We want to win state. That is our goal. We don’t just want to get on the podium, we want to be on the top.” Maya Desmond, another girls team captain said, “We are chasing state, that is our final goal.”

Santa Cruz will run next on Oct. 7th at the Sierra invite at Crystal Springs.

1 Comment

One Response to “Cross Country | Cross Country Girls Want State”

1. Avni on October 2nd, 2017 12:16 am

“The senior boys also ran hard getting 13th, and 74th.” 74th. SEVENTY FOURTH. This is running hard?? Cooper, don’t be generous. Otherwise, great piece! Rock on!

[Reply]

The Trident encourages everyone to comment. Please keep your comments civil and polite. We will approve them as soon as we can.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.