The Trident

Opinion | First Impressions of Santa Cruz High

As a freshman, Santa Cruz High School was a new experience for me. I liked the new freedom we have from middle school, being able to leave campus during break and having more classes to choose from.

However, I have a few concerns that seem to be an issue at our school:

1: Snapchat, a popular app many students use and have now been using more than I’ve ever seen, may be affecting the privacy of others on the school campus.

I’m sure I’ve been in someone’s video before without even knowing it, and the problem is that a person who could have been in an unwanted photo or video would have a hard time finding and reporting the footage if they aren’t friends with the person on Snapchat.

I think it can severely limit the privacy of students on campus, as one shouldn’t take photos or videos of someone without their consent.

2: Another issue at our school that is also affecting freshman is the use of Marijuana. I’m sure there is a rule that it’s illegal to be used by minors, or on campus at all, but it doesn’t seem to be a concern with the teachers or staff.

It’s pretty common to smell the scent of weed on school grounds, but nobody seems to pay any attention to it ”

It’s pretty common to smell the scent of weed on school grounds, but nobody seems to pay any attention to it, which is not something a school should be ignoring.

3: Lastly, dress code. Is there even a dress code at Santa Cruz High? I see countless students (many of which are freshmen) wearing highly inappropriate clothing to school, such as see-through shirts, sagging pants, or jeans with tears on the rear with bare skin showing underneath, but nothing seems to be done about it. I don’t see any teachers paying any attention to it, even though most of these students are minors.

Shouldn’t there be a stable dress code to set examples for the students?”

It’s getting more and more normal for minors to sexualize themselves, and their role models, such as parents, guardians, or teachers are letting them get away with it.

Aside from the complaints I’ve had, I still think Santa Cruz High School has a much nicer campus and provides more freedom than my previous school, Mission Hill. Nevertheless, there could be some stricter rules for the things that I and other students might hold for wrong.

But in the end, I still think it is a more enjoyable experience.