The Student News Site of Santa Cruz High

The Trident

“Merica Monday”: A Mirror of Debates Occurring in America Today

by Jade Hickey

Would you want SCHS to have "Merica Monday"?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

It started out as a spirit week dress-up theme idea that exploded into a fiery debate. Some members of the Homecoming Committee of Santa Cruz High’s ASB wanted to have “Merica Monday” as a theme for a spirit day where students would wear the patriotic red, white, and blue of the American flag. However, this was later canceled due to concern over the potential image Santa Cruz High would be presenting in the midst of the intensely heated political climate in America today.

The class was divided. We spent around half an hour debating why or why not we should have a day devoted to praising America. What struck me about this debate were the strong opinions, and the inability (myself, included) to see from the perspectives of others. I was against having “Merica Monday” because I (as well as many others at this school) are not happy with what is happening in our country today.

The face of this country which we would be supporting with “Merica Monday” is dangerous, racist, sexist, homophobic and capitalistic . There are many students at Santa Cruz High who would feel isolated and discriminated against by having a day where we showed our “patriotism.”  

I feel strongly on this matter, thus, it is extremely difficult for me to have an open-mind and see from the perspectives of those in favor of “Merica Monday.” No, I don’t think that people are “too sensitive” or that “I have pride in my country.” My inner liberal screams, “How can you have pride in a country that is ripping away human’s lives and destroying the planet?”

How can you have pride in a country that is ripping away human’s lives and destroying the planet?”

However, I believe that it is my responsibility as a human being and everyone else’s to strive to understand where others’ opinions are coming from. If everyone was open-minded, much conflict would be prevented and we could all move forward together.

The debate that occurred in SCHS’s leadership class is a reflection of the much larger-scale debates in our country today. All political parties have a fixed mindset and refuse to acknowledge their opponent’s perspective. This dispute is tearing our country apart.

I would like to propose a challenge: When you are in disagreement with someone, before you toss away their opinion as utterly ridiculous, try and imagine where they are coming from. Ultimately, ASB decided to not have “Merica Monday” as a spirit day. However, despite the outcome, something in me was unsettled. I saw how what is happening in our country is happening in our school.

7 Comments

7 Responses to ““Merica Monday”: A Mirror of Debates Occurring in America Today”

1. Avni on October 1st, 2017 11:53 pm

This is a great article. I love it. Also, I like how the message wasn’t to push for one or the other, but to keep an open mind. Beautifully written. Keep doing your thing, Jade Hickey.

[Reply]

2. Avni on October 2nd, 2017 12:04 am

What would make this piece stronger is to do what you actually said and ask people with the opposite opinion what they think. I’ll help you out. I think we should have Merica Monday because, even if our country is doing some trashy things at the moment, the point of Merica Monday is to unite for what the USA stands for, which is freedom and equality for all. In this, Merica Monday gives us strength, instead of emphasizing our weaknesses.

[Reply]

3. Thomas Trenholme on October 2nd, 2017 11:28 am

I think merica monday should be a thing because we aren’t just saying what america is doing today is good, we are supporting a legacy of almost 300 years of the most powerful country in the world. America has done many things in its lifetime, but I think most of us can agree, starting with the declaration of independence and the bill of rights, America has made a very positive effect in the world.

[Reply]

4. Severin Field on October 2nd, 2017 11:34 am

‘Merica monday is a step forward for Santa Cruz High. We do not have to agree with what is happening in legislation, but rather the method that our laws are determined – in one of the most democratic fashions in the world – where anyone who wants, can have their voices heard. I think that is the foundation of the proposition for Merica Monday. We are very lucky to live in a country in which anyone can voice their opinions, and socially, we are ahead of the game.

Patriotism is rudimentary towards the image of our country – and even if there are people who we disagree with that are in our government, we still are very fortunate that we have the right to influence modern policies and form the future of tomorrow.

P.S. You missed out on going to https://sevnet.co/ for web hosting because services are moving on, I suggest you switch to https://sevnode.com/ <— BEST HOST

[Reply]

5. Matt Keane on October 3rd, 2017 7:38 pm

I think having Merica Monday would be very beneficial for SCHS. This is an opportunity for everyone to come together during these very dividing times. Even for minority students, they are just as much included in this celebration of patriotism as anyone else. We should be celebrating and promoting all the good that America has done for the world, not just focusing on the bad. Despite what people think about our current leader and political climate, this is an opportunity for us to come together and celebrate what we have in common.

[Reply]

Mike from Florida Reply:

Tbh Matt, you are wrong, this would be a dangerous step towards nationalism in this country.

[Reply]

6. Marshall Carter on November 3rd, 2017 8:57 am

I think for anyone to move an issue forward in this country, it is required that they have a strong sense of patriotism. If there is no passion and caring for the country, why would anyone bother changing it to be better? Yes, there are many issues in which people are being treated unfairly, and these need to be fixed. However that doesn’t mean we should criminalize our nation.

[Reply]

The Trident encourages everyone to comment. Please keep your comments civil and polite. We will approve them as soon as we can.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.